A "Sweet" Education
 School was held in various churches. Miss Eda Miller was appointed to teach a subscription school, which was held in a tent. Each family paid her so much per child. The first year she received $30 per month. In 1903/04, a building was built to house the school and was called "The Little Red School House". Mr. H.I. Aston, Who later became a McAlester lawyer, was the first principal. Miss Eda Miller, who later married Dr. Eubank, and Emma Garner, taught in the red school.
 On June 5, 1909, Lyman Hugh Perkins and his wife , Hattie Steward Perkins, donated 4 acres for a permanent location for the school. In 1909/10, a new two-story sandstone school building was built on this location. The Baptist church then moved into the previous school building. Mrs. Annie Greenlee, Mrs. Fannie Sherill, Mr. Albert Wood and Mr. Obed Mickle were among the students said to have marched from the old red school to the new school.
 The first class to graduate from high school was in 1928, this is because until 1924, school just went to 8th grade. The second graduating class, in 1929, consisted of 6 boys. As time moved on, several outlying school districts consolidated with Indianola School. Some were Choate Prairie, Scipio, Ulan, Tannehill, Oak Hill, and Bald Mountain.
 There was one reported incident of revolt at the school in 1937. Several students, angered by the firing of John Weeks as basketball coach, stole the flag out of the school and marched from the school to downtown waving the flag and chanting, "We want Weeks". They marched in front of the local general store and the manager, Mr. Maynard, thought they were saying, "We want sweets". He came out and gave all the students candy. This worked out just fine until Thomas J. Mcknight, the school superintendent, showed up and put a stop to the demonstration. Whippings were given to all. Taking part in this revolt were Dee Sanders (flag carrier), Louise Lusk, Bill Allford, Troy Jones, Rachel Thomas, Clara Bell McCormick, Edith Eoff, Thelma Baker Maybelle Slayton, Shirley Slayton and others.

                                                                                              By: Madison Arterberry                                                                     Sources: Pittsburg County, Oklahoma History Book