Indianola History
Indianola began roughly in 1875, when H. M. McElhany moved to the area and opened up a small, one room store. There are two ways the town got it's name. One of which states it was taken off of a stove in the general store. The other states that the name is to honor Indianola, Mississippi. The Fort Smith and Western Railway built a track north of town. Indianola quickly relocated to be adjacent to the track. The former site of the town was named "Old Town."